Happy Thanksgiving From Garrett’s Golf Cars!November 22, 2018
5 Ways to Upgrade Your Golf CartJanuary 29, 2019
The ignition switch in an E-Z-GO golf cart is what enables the vehicle to start when you turn the key. If you’re having a problem getting your golf cart to start, it’s possible you have a bad ignition. Fortunately, it is very easy to install and replace the switch. It is both inexpensive and quick (around ten minutes). There are just four steps: Get the right equipment, prepare the golf cart, remove the console and the existing ignition switch, and lastly, install a new ignition switch and replace console.
Follow the steps below and your E-Z-Go golf cart will be back up and running in no time!
Make sure you have the right equipment
You’ll need the following items to get started.
- Safety glasses
- Protective foot wear
- E-Z-GO Ignition Switch
- Coated wrench (9/16”)
- Small screwdriver
Make sure your golf cart is ready
Don’t start work before preparing your cart.
- Make sure the park break is on.
- Make sure the ignition is off.
Remove the console and the existing ignition switch
- Using the coated wrench, disconnect the negative battery cable.
- With the small screwdriver, pry off the rivets holding the console in place. The console is located where the key ignition is.
- Remove the console insert plate. The plate will still remain attached to the system cabling as you perform the next steps.
- Remove face nut with pliers. The face nut is the round piece that holds the ignition switch in place. Once the face nut is removed, the ignition switch will detach.
- Hang onto the lock nut for the new ignition switch if a new lock nut is no available.
- Remove existing ignition switch from plate. Wire terminals will still be attached until new ignition switch is replaced (see below).
Install new ignition switch and replace console.
- Insert new ignition switch into the console plate and screw on face nut.
- Detach wire terminals from old ignition switch.
- Orient new ignition switch so the wire terminals will attach easily and then attach the wire terminals.
- Insert console plate and attach using new rivets.
If you’re more of a visual learner rather than someone who likes to follow step by step instructions, watch the following video for a demo on installing an ignition switch.
Once you’ve completed the above steps and installed the new ignition switch, you should be good to go! If you’re still having issues with your golf cart you likely have more than just an ignition switch issue. The experts at Garrett’s Golf Cars can help you out with any golf cart needs you may have! give us a call, contact us online, or chat with us live to schedule your golf cart service today!